Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life and career mantras from Tina Roth Eisenberg, part one

Swiss designer, blogger and creative business-woman Tina Roth Eisenberg shares four mantras/rules for success in life and in business (via this article from Fast Company).


1. Do what you love.

2. Don't be a complainer, make things better. Either let it go, or do something about it.

3. Trust your intuition. What does your gut say?

4. If an opportunity scares you, you need to take it.

I totally agree with these guidelines and think they're important and useful for decisions related to life, business and careers. We are lucky if we find ourselves being able to do what we love, but its our own initiative, hard work, creativity and networking (and a small dose of good luck) that get us there. I like the second one because occasionally, when I find myself complaining about something, I feel much better about it when I actually stop to think about the problem and come up with a solution, even if its temporary. It can be so good for one's well-being! In my mind, it relates to her first point of doing what you love. If you're stuck in a job you hate, or only sort of like for whatever reason, it makes it much easier and much more enjoyable if you can turn it into a positive situation and focus on the things you do love about it.

As for intuition, I tend to follow mine. When I end up going down the wrong path, I sometimes curse myself under my breath. Better to move on and learn from ones choices and create new strategies than to dwell on what could have been, I say. Still, following my inner conscience has been something that has worked out well for me in the past. My sense is that conscience/intuition have a lot to do with learning from ones mistakes, rethinking and reformulating strategies, observing behavioral patterns and habits (personal and those of others), and oh!, managing expectations. That is a mantra in and of itself for me.

I also like this last one because it presents a different way of thinking about the opportunities that present themselves on a daily basis in our lives (though their importance, complexity and implications vary widely). There are lots of scary paths we can walk down and thresholds to cross, but sometimes going through painful or scary experiences can be very rewarding and life-changing in the end.

By the way, there are actually supposed to be eight mantras, so I feel like this post is a little half-baked (for some reason, the second half of the video is missing and is nowhere to be found anywhere on the internet - I already tried looking). If you happen to find it, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment